Science on Wheels — Public Assemblies
Our Public assemblies are perfect for Libraries, camp groups, community events and family nights at schools. They can accommodate up to 200 visitors and are ideal for ages 5 and up.
Choose from the following program options:
Sometimes science demonstrations can seem like magic. The difference is, scientist love to explain how things work! Your educator will perform several demonstrations that may first seem like magic. Then with the help of volunteers and observations from the audience we will figure out the science behind the trick, and learn what is really happening.
It’s a Breeze:
How is a beach ball like an airplane wing? How can air be used to crush a soda can? How can you fill up a 10 foot long bag with air using only one breath? We’ll find out in this fun and interactive assembly that demonstrates how air pressure affects our everyday environment. Audience members will discover how to explore the air, even though they cannot see it. These experiments are guaranteed to BLOW them away!!
This fast paced assembly explores chemicals and chemical reactions in our world! What are they? How do they happen? And what are the results? Participants will use all of their senses to investigate these questions as we demonstrate several exciting chemical reactions.
Modified School Assembly:
Choose a shortened and modified version of any of our school assembly programs for your public group. The length and pricing will be as listed on this page rather than what is on the school assembly page.
Maximum Capacity: 200 people
Recommended Audience: Families, mixed age groups, best for children age 5 and up
Duration: 40 minutes
- A large room with space for the audience and a presentation area
- Two tables for the presentation to be set up on
- Access to a sink during setup and breakdown
- A three pronged electrical outlet near the presentation space
- Educator will arrive approximately 45 minutes prior to the scheduled start time to unload, check in and set up
- Calculate the drive time from Roper Mountain Science Center to your site, then add that amount of time to 8:00 to determine your earliest assembly start time (If it is a one hour drive from Roper Mountain to your site, add one hour to 8 a.m. and the earliest start time is 9 a.m.)
- For multiple sessions, allow at least 15 minutes in between sessions to reset the equipment
Payment is due within 30 days after the date of the program. An invoice will be e-mailed to the booker when the reservation is made. Educators CANNOT take payment. Please mail your payment to Roper Mountain. Credit card payments can be made in person at Roper Mountain Science Center (please call ahead to schedule a payment time), but we cannot take credit card information by phone or email.
We will travel to locations up to a 2.5 hour drive from Roper Mountain for a single day visit. There is a fee for locations outside of Greenville County of 85 cents per mile. We use Google Maps to calculate drive times and distances. Requests for further distances will be considered if requested.
|2 Different Assemblies||
* No mileage fee in Greenville County. For other counties, a mileage fee of $0.85 per mile applies
Contact the Outreach Specialist, Jennifer Romatelli, at email@example.com.
RMSC can’t take credit card payments over the phone.