Science on Wheels — Public Starlab Portable Planetarium
The Starlab brings the night sky to your site in the middle of the day! While the Starlab can only accommodate up to 25 people in a session, it is possible to schedule up to six sessions in a visit, allowing for up to 150 visitors to be served. This is great for camp groups or longer community events with a structured schedule. If you need to accomodate more people, contact us to discuss other options (shorter sessions, or multiple days)
Learn the basics of the night sky in our local area. We will focus on planets and constellations visible in the current night sky, but also discuss how those things change over hours, seasons and years. We’ll end by displaying a full dome illustration of the Greek Constellations across our model sky.
Format: Small Group
Maximum Capacity: 25 people
Recommended Audience: Families, camp groups, best for children age 5 and up
Duration: 30 minutes per session
- A large indoor space with ceilings at least 12’ feet high and floor space at least 25’x25’
- No objects protruding from the walls or ceiling into the presentation space
- A three pronged electrical outlet near the presentation space
- Educator will arrive approximately 45 minutes prior to the scheduled start time to unload, check in and set up
- Calculate the drive time from Roper Mountain Science Center to your site, then add that amount of time to 8:00 to determine your earliest assembly start time (If it is a one hour drive from Roper Mountain to your site, add one hour to 8 a.m. and the earliest start time is 9 a.m.)
- For multiple sessions, allow at least 10 minutes in between sessions to reset the equipment
- If the schedule overlaps a meal time, please allow a longer break of at least 30 minutes for the instructor to eat. Meal breaks are required if more than 4 sessions are scheduled.
Payment is due within 30 days after the date of the program. An invoice will be e-mailed to the booker when the reservation is made. Educators CANNOT take payment. Please mail your payment to Roper Mountain. Credit card payments can be made in person at Roper Mountain Science Center (please call ahead to schedule a payment time), but we cannot take credit card information by phone or email.
We will travel to locations up to a 2.5 hour drive from Roper Mountain for a single day visit. Sites farther than 2.5 hours (up to 5 hours) may book an overnight trip with an added flat fee of $150 per night to cover hotel and meals for our instructor. There is a mileage fee for locations outside of Greenville County of 85 cents per mile. We use Google Maps to calculate drive times and distances.
* No mileage fee in Greenville County. For other counties, a mileage fee of $0.85 per mile applies
Contact the Outreach Specialist, Jennifer Romatelli, at email@example.com.
RMSC can’t take credit card payments over the phone.