Science on Wheels — Outreach Workshops
Workshop programs are a true hands-on educational experience available to both school and public groups. For public groups, the capacity is 20 participants with a minimum age of 7. For school groups the capacity is one class, and the class teacher must be available to assist while students are building.
Builder Workshop: The Great Coaster Challenge!
Participants in this hands-on program will act as Theme Park Engineers to design and build a prototype roller coaster for our theme park. Engineers will work in groups of 2-4 to plan and build their coaster. They will need to manage materials and resources, as well as time to build a functioning roller coaster. At the end of the activity, we will give each group of engineers the chance to demonstrate their creation, and we will evaluate the success of each coaster.
South Carolina School Standards Connections: This workshop is based on the Engineering Practices Stanard for all Elementary and Middle school grades.
Maximum Capacity: 20 participants for public groups, one class for school groups (not counting adult helpers)
Recommended Audience: Students age 7 and up (grades 2-8)
Duration: 60 minutes per session
- A classroom sized or larger space
- A six foot or equivelant table to set up materials
- Tables or desks to allow workspace for all participants
- Room for a projection screen and projector (we will provide if needed)
- Educator will arrive approximately 45 minutes prior to the scheduled start time to unload, check in and set up
- Calculate the drive time from Roper Mountain Science Center to your site, then add that amount of time to 8:00 to determine your earliest assembly start time (If it is a one hour drive from Roper Mountain to your site, add one hour to 8 a.m. and the earliest start time is 9 a.m.)
- For multiple sessions, allow at least 15 minutes in between sessions to reset the equipment
Payment is due within 30 days after the date of the program. An invoice will be e-mailed to the booker when the reservation is made. Educators CANNOT take payment. Please mail your payment to Roper Mountain. Credit card payments can be made in person at Roper Mountain Science Center (please call ahead to schedule a payment time), but we cannot take credit card information by phone or email.
We will travel to locations up to a 2.5 hour drive from Roper Mountain for a single day visit. There is a fee for locations outside of Greenville County of 85 cents per mile. We use Google Maps to calculate drive times and distances. Requests for further distances may be considered if requested.
* No mileage fee in Greenville County. For other counties, a mileage fee of $0.85 per mile applies
Contact the Outreach Specialist, Jennifer Romatelli, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RMSC can’t take credit card payments over the phone.