Virtual Field Trips
Give students the excitement of a field trip to Roper Mountain, even if you can’t leave the school! Roper Mountain’s dynamic instructors come direct to your classroom through two-way video conferencing technology. Each one hour lesson is unique, engaging and based on South Carolina and National standards.
Click Here to visit the Center for Interactive Learning and Collaboration (CILC) to register for programs (You will need to join the CILC to register for programming from Roper Mountain Science Center) or contact the Virtual Field Trip Coordinator, Lorie Thibodeaux for more information.
RMSC Receives Pinnacle Award from CILC
RMSC received a CILC Pinnacle Award from the Center for Interactive Learning and Collaboration (CILC) in 2015-16, 2011-12 and 2009-10. We received an honorable Mention in 2014-15 and 2012-2013. The award is presented annually to organizations delivering outstanding K-12 standards based interactive videoconferencing programs. Read More.
- Westward by Rail (Grades 4-7)
- Wagons West (Grades 3-6)
- Spies of the American Revolution (Grades 3, 4, and 8)
- Incredible Invertebrates of the Tropical Rainforest (Grades 2-5)
- We can connect with your school via video conferencing equipment, such as Tanberg, Cisco, LifeSize or Polycom OR We can connect using a Zoom virtual meeting room
- If you have video conferencing equipment, you will need to dial in to our IP, which we will provide you when you make a reservation. Your system should be hooked up to a monitor or projector and screen, as well as a microphone and speaker.
- If you are using a Zoom meeting room to connect with us you will need to download and install the Zoom software. See the file below with step by step instructions for connecting to a Zoom meeting room.
- For a Zoom connection, you will need a computer that is equipped with a microphone and web camera. You will also need to connect the computer to a large monitor or projector and screen, and a speaker system.
- Maximum of 4 VFT session per school day -The earliest start time for the first session is 7am Eastern Time (US)
- We recommend scheduling one hour per session with at least 10 minutes between sessions, but if you cannot work that into your school’s schedule we will work with you to create a schedule that works
- For four sessions in a day one 30 minute or longer break between sessions is required for our educator to eat
- South Carolina (including Greenville County): $50 per session
- All others: $100 per session
- Volume Discount for outside South Carolina: If one organization or district reserves 10 or more sessions in a school year, a $10 discount per session will apply. (The discount cannot be applied after programs have taken place, so we must know about all reservations prior to the first scheduled session)
RMSC can’t take credit card payments over the phone.
Using Zoom As A Teacher With Virtual Field Trips